The Managing Director (MD) of a company can be a high pressure job, since the MD has ultimate responsibility for a company’s performance. However, it can also be rewarding when he/she helps individuals and teams reach their goals and perform at their best. Meet Rahab Kariuki, ACRE Africa MD. Rahab heads the team of over 30 diverse professionals all with one common goal: to provide innovative insurance solutions to farmers across Africa.
A visionary leader, Rahab inspires the team by taking time to mentor the young and dynamic ACRE Africa team. When she is not in numerous meetings, she usually will have time to stop by employees' desks and say a cheerful hello. She has an open door policy, availing herself for consultation. Rahab has been with ACRE Africa for over 7 years, when the organization was the Kilimo Salama project.
1. 3 things you personally like:
- Travel with family - not business travel
- New things that are creative- right now I have an interest in tailoring. This actually translates to my work. I like the conceptual stage that involves coming up with the big picture.
2. 3 things you don’t like/enjoy:
- Phone calls – I prefer smses
- Surprises –if you are buying me something, I need to be aware. If we are planning something, I want to be involved.
3. If you could meet anyone, who would it be?
John Maxwell - I would sit and just listen to everything he has to say - His insight and perspectives on leadership.
4. Your favorite place on Earth.
I have always wanted to to Bangkok, India, Thailand, Egypt, and Rome. I am currently watching a series (When I have time) on Europe and it has me fascinated. Rome tops that list because of its rich culture and the art.
5. What do you like most about working at ACRE Africa?
I love the environment we are operating in where agriculture and insurance meet. As a creative, there is a lot of room for ideation and innovation. This means I have the space to express the creativity that I love. We are also a young and energetic team. When we put these ideas together, farmers will have relevant coping mechanisms compared to what they have had in the past.
6. How does a normal day look like at the office?
Meetings, meetings, emails, meetings meetings, phone calls.
7. What is the number one challenge you face in your job?
Getting enough data to see the big picture in the next the five years. Seeing how the industry might change. It’s a challenge to plan for the next five years.
8. What do you think is the best way to meet that challenge?
Challenging ourselves and setting the bar high. Competing against ourselves to make the impossible to happen. A lot of networking as well.
9. How do you keep a healthy work/life balance?
I don’t (Laughs) But I have an idea how to do it.
10. What is your favorite movie at all times?
I watch movies and forget about them immediately. If my life was balanced I would probably watch more movies.
11. Favorite quote?
Patience grows experience, experience grows hope, and hope grows character.
Rahab enjoys several cups of tea through the day. She is married to Kariuki, they have one son.